The 2016/17 season was the season that could have been, with the A’s & C’s making finals and the B’s just missing out.
After winning only 1 game before Christmas it was going to be a challenging second half to the season for our A grade side, led by first year captain Anthony Muggridge. However, the team went through the second half undefeated, which was a great team effort with everyone chipping in when required. It was the first finals appearance by A Grade in three years and with being bottom of the ladder this season the team showed great character and perseverance. Unfortunately they lost their semi-final match to the winning premiers North Haven in the second to last over. With the talent in the team there is no reason they shouldn’t be playing finals again this coming season. Great work by James Mingorance on winning the association keeping award.
B grade unfortunately just missed out on finals this season. They battled all year and unfortunately weren’t able to get their best team on the ground after the first couple of rounds, mainly due to players being unavailable. Despite this, they were well led by another first year captain, Chris Norman who showed he had great batting potential which had not been seen in his previous season at the club. Congratulations to Brett Jorgensen for winning the association batting trophy for his grade and for his consistent runs over the last few seasons.
A tremendous effort by the C’s this season making a Grand Final under first year captain, Jarrod McCauley. Unfortunately they were not able to get the job done and lost to Cove in the Grand Final. Even though they didn’t get the result they were hoping for, it was great to see the lads enjoying their cricket again after having a tough season in 2015/2016. Undoubtedly the biggest highlight of the season was club legend Peter Zacpal taking his 1000th wicket for the club. Well done to Christian Leschke on winning an association bowling award and Mike (Kiwi) Maclean on winning the association keeping award.
1st XI Section 2
- Batting - Rahsaan Oakey 277 @ 23.09
- Bowling - John Zadow 36 @ 11.42
- Fielding - Glin Simpson 9 votes
2nd XI Section 4
- Batting - Brett Jorgensen 562 @ 62.44
- Bowling - Jai Koirala 22 @ 10.41
- Fielding - Ben Scott 7 votes
3rd XI Section 8
- Batting - Chris Wright 479 @ 68.43
- Bowling - Christian Leschke 32 @ 14.78
- Fielding - Christian Leschke 11 votes
- Hat-trick: Jai Koirala (7/30) B Grade vs Kenilworth
- A Grade Player of the Year: John Zadow (14 votes)
- Most Valuable Player: Jai Koirala (15 votes)
- Jack Hewett Award: Jai Koirala (770 points)
- Wicketkeeper Award: Mike Maclean (54 points)
- Club Person: Emma Oakey